The Master of Arts in Education (MA Ed) in Physical Education Master Teacher with an emphasis in Special Populations is designed for K-12 educators seeking to improve student learning and inclusion in the physical education (PE) classroom. Through an emphasis in Special Populations, teachers can gain an understanding of the challenges of children with physical or other disabilities and learn how to alter curriculum to maximize their learning and involvement.
Reasons students choose this program:
- Learn methods to integrate technologies in the classroom to make PE more accessible, fun and useful for students with disabilities.
- Broaden their skillsets in instructional delivery.
- Gain the ability to gather and interpret data to assess student learning in order to revise or design curriculum.
This program leads to the endorsement in Adapted Physical Education issued by the Nebraska State of Education. Students outside of the state of Nebraska should contact their state department of education for endorsement or other needs.
Two tracks are available in the Physical Education Master Teacher, MA Ed program:
- The pedagogy emphasis provides advanced knowledge in the instruction of physical education in elementary and post-secondary schools.
- The special populations emphasis provides advanced knowledge in physical education for students with disabilities and leads to an endorsement in Adapted Physical Education issued by the Nebraska Department of Education.