The online Master of Science (MS) in Family and Consumer Sciences Education program prepares individuals seeking initial teacher certification or licensure in family and consumer sciences education and for those who have a bachelor’s degree in family and consumer sciences education and want to expand their credential.
Family and Consumer Sciences Education helps students develop human literacy as they master a complex set of essential skills and knowledge needed to achieve quality of life.
Students in this program learn to:
- Plan curriculum for teaching.
- Create a physical and psychological environment for learning.
- Engage students in the learning process.
- Examine the relationship of diverse groups and the education process.
- Analyze the historical and philosophical underpinnings of FCS.
- Assume professional responsibilities.
- Apply research to practice.
Students choose this program because of a passion for teaching students in the areas of:
- Family diversity and vitality
- Resource management
- Home environments
- Textiles and apparel construction
- Leadership and relationships
- Human development
This online master's degree provides professional education (pedagogy) requirements for a family and consumer sciences teaching certificate for most states. Students must meet the requirements of the state in which they wish to be certified since standards for teacher certificate vary by state.
Alternatively, upon completion of this master's degree, students may choose to develop and conduct youth programming in an informal educational setting.