The online Master of Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Epidemiology degree program prepares students and working professionals looking to broaden their training in epidemiology and related fields.
The Public Health, MPH (Epidemiology) program provides basic epidemiological skills and knowledge to prepare students for careers in public health. This area of study provides the tools needed to conceptualize a public health problem, design an epidemiological study, collect and analyze data and interpret and report the results of a study. The coursework and applications focus on the determinants, distribution, dynamics and etiology of disease in populations and include proposal and report writing, the promotion of good health practices, the prevention of disease and the evaluation of public health policy and programs.
The online Epidemiology concentration focuses on five main areas:
- Problem Conceptualization. Students conceptualize epidemiologic research questions and hypotheses, apply principles of causal inference to epidemiologic data and review and critique published epidemiologic studies.
- Surveillance. Students develop skills to identify key sources of surveillance data, compute epidemiologic measures using surveillance data and use surveillance data to answer epidemiologic questions.
- Study Design. Students learn how to choose a study design appropriate for particular epidemiologic questions and design an appropriate, scientifically sound study.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation. Students develop skills to identify and interpret key study results, select appropriate statistical methods for analysis of epidemiologic data, identify potential sources and effects of bias and apply methods to minimize sources of bias in study results.
- Dissemination of Study Findings. Students learn to communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
The Master's in Public Health cultivates leaders who are creative, critical thinkers, with the knowledge and skills to address evolving public health challenges. This online master's degree program focuses on being practice-centered, evidence-based, equity-focused, diverse and collaborative.