The online Master of Arts for Teachers in Mathematics (MAT) degree program is uniquely designed for secondary (and middle-level) teachers in mathematics. Awarded by the Department of Mathematics, the MAT program deepens teachers' mathematical knowledge for teaching by focusing on advanced mathematical concepts that underlie or have strong connections to the school curriculum.
Reasons students choose this program:
- The Department of Mathematics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a national leader in the development and delivery of mathematics courses for teachers, both in-person and online. Teachers who choose our degree program are learning from the best faculty in the Big 10.
- Most of the courses in the MAT program were developed with NSF funding by members of the UNL faculty in partnership with master K-12 teachers. As a result, the content is rigorous yet grounded in the realities of K-12 classrooms.
- Complete the program in 10 courses, 6 courses recommended in math.
- Teachers can tailor their program with electives in education or other STEM courses also offered online.
- Developing reasoning skills and the habits of mind of a mathematical thinker are common themes throughout the program, equipping teachers to effectively engage their students in problem-solving.
- Participants can engage with a math community that is highly collaborative beyond the classroom.
The MAT program is designed for:
- Middle through high school level mathematics teachers who want to deepen their knowledge of mathematics that they teach.
- Teachers who wish to reinvigorate their passion for learning and teaching mathematics.
- Teachers wanting to build positive classroom environments that enhance student learning through the implementation of the Standards for Mathematical Practice as outlined in the Common Core.
- High school teachers who wish to teach dual credit courses or teach at a community college.
- Teachers wishing to obtain an advanced degree that relates to and genuinely benefits their classrooms.