The online Master of Arts (MA) in English with an emphasis in Writing degree program prepares students interested in the advanced study of composition and genre. The English, MA (Writing) offers students the opportunity to study literature, composition, language, and creative writing.
Students Choose the English, MA (Writing) program to:
- Improve their writing skills and instructional strategies.
- Gain critical thinking and communication skills as they better understand and are able to critique the writing of others.
- Diversify their writing skills through coursework covering a variety of areas including poetry, fiction, drama and creative nonfiction writing.
- Earn an advanced education in a flexible format with no residency requirement.
- Low student to faculty ratios foster a more engaging classroom environment.
- For personal enrichment and educational accomplishment.
Although this program does not grant certification to teach English, many students utilize their skills to improve their own writing or instructional strategies in existing teaching career paths.
Students select one of the following focus areas:
- Literature. Students will explore written and aural works that are considered to be of artistic or popular merit across a range of cultures, regions and contexts.
- Creative Writing. Students will focus on the experiential practice of writing through the creation of original poems, stories, creative nonfiction essays, etc.
- Childhood and Youth Studies. Students explore literary texts and visual/other media written and produced for or aimed at children and youth.
- Composition, Rhetoric and Language. Students will combine the study of rhetoric, composition and English language studies.