The online Master of Arts in Education (MA Ed) in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in Montessori–Elementary I degree program is designed for those with a passion for teaching via the Montessori Method to school-aged children. The University of Nebraska at Kearney is in Good Standing with the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE).
Through coursework, students gain:
- Foundational knowledge of a concept coined by Dr. Maria Montessori, which incorporates learning methods structured around a child's mind, body and soul.
- Greater expertise in the Montessori Method and how it nurtures student development.
- Credentials for career advancement.
This program offers the following tracks:
- Montessori Early Childhood (age 3-6, pre-K)
- Montessori Elementary I (age 6-9, grades K-3)
Coursework information: Courses for the program are available online, with a required 3-week on-site training at an approved Montessori facility. Students must have access to a Montessori School for some courses for hands-on activities.
A practicum is required and must be completed at a Montessori-approved school or through a self-directed practicum experience at a school approved by the program administrators. To determine if a school in your area is an approved location for the practicum course, please contact the program coordinator.
Note: This program does not lead to the initial teacher certification needed to begin teaching in a public school in the state of Nebraska. Students pursuing certification in other states should check with their state Department of Education for certification requirements.