The online Graduate Certificate in Gerontology is designed to provide students with a sophisticated understanding of aging and prepare them to address the challenges and opportunities of an aging population. This certificate allows professionals the ability to acquired focused training in the area of gerontology. The specialization is intended as a companion for students who have a major in another discipline in addition to Gerontology.
Benefits of the Gerontology, Graduate Certificate program:
- A multidisciplinary education in the biological, psychological and social aspects of aging.
- Knowledge of the resources available to improve the lives of older adults and to promote aging in place.
- An opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the field of aging through the practicum.
- Exposure to innovative research in aging, including the study of brain changes with age.
- Development of The Courage to Care.
The program is offered by the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Department of Gerontology. The department has embraced this way of learning as a reflection of the 21st-century world as it provides students with a convenient, thought-provoking way of learning about the aging experience.
The department conducts relevant research in conjunction with local and federal agencies that serve the public and its changing needs. Research areas include end-of-life planning, aging prisoners, resiliency and public policy.