The online Bachelor of Multidisciplinary Studies (BMS) degree with an area of concentration in Library Science prepares students to be well-educated, credentialed, digitally skilled information professionals capable of enhancing the quality of life in their communities and campuses in today’s 21st century libraries. Modern Librarians are needed in the areas of public, academic, law, medical and corporate libraries along with specialty markets in the social/advocacy and business areas.
Librarians strengthen the links among information, technology and individuals. Professionals in this vital field facilitate access to public data and information resources as well as to technology and basic information services for both rural and urban communities.
The online Bachelor of Multidisciplinary Studies degree (BMS) with an area of concentration in Library Science is a strong program choice for individuals who have varied academic experience or those completing an associate degree.
Students in the Library Science, BMS program enjoy:
- The opportunity to bring together the courses they have taken at other colleges and universities and combine them to accomplish their academic goal.
- Meeting and networking with library professionals in their geographic area and learning alongside students around the world.
- A fully accredited program by the Higher Learning Commission meeting eligibility requirements for those seeking to pursue a graduate degree.
- Award-winning library and informational professionals with a deep understanding of librarianship.
- Access to campus services, including technology services, advising and library resources.
The success of this program, alongside the Library Science BS Ed, is demonstrated through our students. Graduates from the University of Nebraska at Omaha Library Science programs enjoy very high employment placement rates after graduation.
In addition to high job placement, opportunities demonstrated by our alumni include:
- Supporting innovation in business and industry through corporate libraries.
- Dissemination of information about treatments in medical libraries.
- Curating of rare collections in museums.
- Designing and implementing community-wide collaborative projects.
- Client advocating through law libraries.
- Collaboration with faculty members on projects involving in-depth research in academic libraries.
Nationally ranked as one of the top bachelor's programs in the United States, the Bachelor of Multidisciplinary Studies Degree (BMS) is a flexible, individualized degree program. The adaptable nature of the program provides students with the opportunity to design a personalized degree tailored to meet individual career goals, satisfy personal aspirations or prepare for graduate studies.