Youth Development, Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate in Youth Development
Why Pursue This Program
The online Youth Development, Graduate Certificate program examines the people, places, supports, opportunities and services young people need to be healthy and successful.
The program is designed to provide positive outcomes for all youth by:
- Recognizing their strengths.
- Fostering positive relationships.
- Providing opportunities to learn, lead, connect and serve.
The Youth Development, Graduate Certificate prepares students to:
- Develop policies with a positive effect
- Apply basic research and evaluation skills
- Understand normative pathways to development
- Work with agencies, boards, families and other professionals
- Gain the necessary skills for budgeting, grant writing, and fund-raising
- Examine the impact of local, state, federal, and global policies on youth
- Identify how youth and family cultural issues affect positive youth outcomes
- Apply the primary concepts of youth development
This graduate certificate in youth development is a unique online certificate program that focuses solely on youth development. Students may complete the certificate in one of two focus areas:
- Youth Development Specialist
- Youth Program Management and Evaluation
The Youth Development, Graduate Certificate can be used for continuing education credits or a career ladder opportunity. Credits earned in a graduate certificate may also be used as a step to getting the Youth Development, MS or supplement a master's degree in another field.
This program is offered by the Great Plains IDEA Youth Development program which is a recognized leader in professional development and advanced degrees in youth development. Rather than focusing solely on corrective measures, the program utilizes Positive Youth Development which equips young people in the second decade of life with the skills and opportunities necessary to transition to adulthood.
Career Outlook: There is increasing demand for employees of youth-serving organizations to obtain graduate degrees, certificates and/or licensure.
Career options may include:
- Non-profit Youth Organizations
- Faith-Based Groups
- Community Recreation Leaders
- Juvenile Corrections Professionals
- Elementary, Middle or High School Educators
- Extension Educators
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.