- Course Delivery
- Fully Online
- Total Credits
- In-State Tuition Per Credit
- Out of State Tuition Per Credit
Earn your degree from the University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Get the same diploma as on campus students
The online Applied Science, MAS program is designed for students who are looking to pursue a professional degree in agriculture, food and natural resources at the master’s level. Through the ability to personalize their coursework, students become prepared to be the problem solvers, innovators and teachers pertaining to the great challenges our world faces related to food, energy and water in our landscapes.In addition to gaining the science and leadership skills necessary to expand their career options, students are able to individualize their program by choosing several areas of study, such as:
- Agriculture and extension education
- Agricultural economics/agribusiness
- Agronomy and horticulture
- Animal science
- Food science and technology
- Natural resources
Why choose this program?
- Designed for those who are looking to pursue a professional degree in agriculture, food, and natural resources at the master’s level
- Ability to focus your area of study within the program to best fit your educational objectives
- Convenient online courses for working agricultural and natural resource professionals and science educators needing advanced education
There are two specializations offered for the Master of Applied Science program, including Community Development and Science for Educators.
Upon completion of the program, students can apply the knowledge they have learned to a multitude of career areas:
- Environmental industry
- Food industry
- Agricultural and other natural resources industries
- Community and regional planning organizations
- Economics and agribusiness professions
- Teaching professions
Dan Cotton served as the first executive director of eXtension prior to returning to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln to serve in his current role. His national experience with eXtension serves him in leading online education ventures at UNL.
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
Undergraduate degree in life sciences or related area, such as biological or physical science, and experience in applied science
3.00 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
Undergraduate coursework in basic sciences (biology and chemistry) and in agriculture appropriate to the area of concentration.
Previous work experience
For students with related degrees. It is vital students bring appropriate prerequisite knowledge for student success in the courses.
Taken the TOEFL or IELTS
(Only required if English is not your native language)
A written personal statement
Explain why you want to purse a Master of Applied Science degree. Elucidate how obtaining this degree will help you personal, career, and/or professional goals. Describe what you're doing now that relates to this degree. Describe your level of commitment to successful completion of this degree.
3 letters of recommendation
Official transcripts from all previous schools
To apply to this program:
- Apply and be admitted to Graduate Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Pay the non-refundable $50 application processing fee
- Submit one set of official transcripts from each college or university you have attended to Office of Graduate Studies
- Apply and be admitted to the department
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
- 36 credit hours of graduate coursework (with 12 credit hours open exclusively to graduate credit)
- At least 18 credit hours in an area of focus (may be interdisciplinary), including a Degree Project
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Leadership, Education
- Agronomy & Horticulture
- Community Development
- Food Science & Technology
- Natural Resources
- Grassland Studies
- At least 9 credit hours must be completed in a secondary area of emphasis for breadth
- A 3 to 6 credit hour Degree Project
|Master of Applied Science Project||1-6|
Course Number: AGRO / AGRI / HORT / NRES 897
Project activity for the Master of Applied Science degree. Design, develop and complete a project that requires synthesis of the course topics covered in the primary area of emphasis. Course is cross-listed in AGRO, AGRI, HORT and NRES. Prerequisites: Admission to Master of Applied Science degree program
Cost for Nebraska Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $346.00
- Fees: $52.25
- Total: $398.25
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1038.00
- Fees: $156.75
- Total: $1194.75
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $609.00
- Fees: $52.25
- Total: $661.25
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1827.00
- Fees: $156.75
- Total: $1983.75
Questions about tuition? We can help.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.