Social Work, BS
Bachelor of Science Degree in Social Work
Why Pursue This Program
Social work is more than a profession; it is a calling and a personal mission that compels ordinary individuals to make extraordinary efforts aimed at creating a more compassionate, moral and inclusive society.
The online Social Work, BS degree program allows students to:
- Make a difference in the lives of people from all walks of life and improve the responsiveness of societal institutions.
- Give a voice to society's most vulnerable, advocate for the inclusion of those overlooked and left behind and create solutions to perplexing social challenges.
- Work in a variety of settings that include child welfare and family services, youth residential treatment facilities, elder care programs, addiction and mental health services, domestic violence programs and corrections.
The UNK Department of Social Work has maintained accreditation at the baccalaureate level by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1982. This accreditation allows students to classify as advanced standing students and complete their master's degree in social work from schools around the country in a faster and more affordable way.
The online Social Work, BS degree prepares students to be competent social work practitioners while also preparing students for lifelong learning and the application of critical thinking to guide professional decision-making. Graduates are equipped with evidence-based generalist social work knowledge, skills, ethics and values to promote the dignity and well-being of all people within a diverse society and enable them to work with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
The online Social Work, BS degree is ideal for those who:
- Desire to be a problem-solver
- Dream of making life better for others
- Are compelled to address and negotiate programs
- Feel driven to advocate for fairness, justice and basic civil rights for all people
Social Work employment outlook: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the social work profession will continue to grow for the next several decades and at a rate faster than most professions.
- Social workers are in demand and are highly desired for many human service areas.
- Most social work growth will occur in medical and public health at 22% growth, mental health & substance abuse at 20% growth and child family and school at 12% growth, with all other social worker careers experiencing a 13% growth rate.
- Social workers specializing in geriatrics and working in rural areas are especially in demand.
Graduates of UNK's online Social Work, BS degree program will help meet workforce demands in human services areas, including medical and public health; mental health and substance abuse; child, family, and school; geriatrics; and other areas within communities. Position titles may include:
- Social worker
- Case manager
- Case management aid
- Community outreach worker
- Rehabilitation caseworker
- Eligibility worker
- Human services specialist
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.