Science/Math Education, MS Ed
Master of Science in Education Degree in Science/Math Education
Why Pursue This Program
The online Science/Math Education, MS Ed is an interdisciplinary program designed for certified math and science teachers working in grades 7-12. This program qualifies for federal TEACH Grant aid.
The program offers students:
- A hybrid program between a traditional science or math content masters degree and a curriculum and instruction teaching masters degree
- A 12-hour emphasis in biology, chemistry, math, or physical science/physics
- The ability to strengthen skills and knowledge in pedagogical techniques and math/science content
- A flexible, 36-hour program with no thesis
This program is entirely online and requires 36 credit hours to be completed in the following areas:
- Professional components (9 hours)
- Academic Components (24 hours)
- Capstone (3 hours)
Students choose this program to gain:
- Cutting-edge knowledge in their content areas
- In-depth pedagogical knowledge of content in multiple disciplines
- Immediate application of knowledge to the curriculum in order to improve teaching and student learning
- In-depth understanding of recent developments in math and science standards
This program appeals to teachers who may be teaching in multiple areas within their schools as well as to new teachers looking for a way to advance up the pay scale while adding professional skills.
To enter the program, a bachelor's degree with a teaching endorsement in Biology, Math, Chemistry, Natural Science, Physics or Physical Science as well as a teaching certificate or license is expected. Applicants with middle-grade teaching endorsements may also be admitted into the program depending on their level of undergraduate science and math preparation.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.