Public Health, MPH (Health Services Administration & Policy)
Master of Public Health Degree with a Concentration in Health Services Administration and Policy
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Public Health Administration and Policy degree program is designed for students and working professionals looking to broaden their training in public health administration, health policy and related fields.
The Public Health Administration and Policy concentration prepares students for an administrative, managerial or supervisory role, with an emphasis on planning, budgeting, program evaluation and policy development.
The online Public Health Administration and Policy concentration focuses on four main areas:
- Organizational Theory and Behavior. Students learn fundamental concepts and information about organizational behaviors and theories in health care and develop skills to analyze and resolve organizational problems through a systems approach
- Health Care Finance. Students learn to prepare budgets while considering contexts, develop skills to implement budgets, evaluate performance and take appropriate actions, analyze risk as a basis for financial decision-making, and demonstrate the application of financial management techniques to enhance the performance of health service organizations
- Strategic Planning. Students evaluate and document internal and external strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to identify strategic issues, prepare strategic and operational plans that consider issues, demonstrate skills to lead and facilitate planning activities as well as implement operational and strategic plans with the ability to evaluate performance and adjust accordingly
- Human Resource Management. Students develop knowledge on various theories, principles, best practices and challenges of human resource management in health care, explain the effects of human factors and demographics in managing others and identify the different issues that impact human resource management
The Master in Public Health cultivates leaders who are creative, critical thinkers, with the knowledge and skills to address evolving public health challenges. This online master's degree program focuses on being practice-centered, evidence-based, equity-focused, diverse and collaborative.
Career Outlook: Graduates in Health Administration and Policy find positions in federal, state and local agencies, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, hospitals, clinics and health systems, insurance companies and legislative offices. Careers in this field may focus on influencing and developing policies or may be involved in the day to day operations of how programs and services are structure and delivered. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted a 20% job growth which is much faster than average for Medical and Health Services Managers from 2016 to 2026.
Potential career paths for graduates of this online program include:
- Administrative services manager
- Behavioral health director
- Community service manager
- Hospital chief executive officer
- Human resource manager
- Outpatient care supervisor
- Wellness program administrator
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.