Public Health, MPH (Health Promotion)
Master of Public Health Degree with a Concentration in Health Promotion
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Health with a concentration in Health Promotion is designed to prepare graduates for work in public health and those looking to broaden their training in health promotion and related fields.
The Master in Public Health cultivates leaders who are creative, critical thinkers, with the knowledge and skills to address evolving public health challenges. This online master's degree program focuses on being practice-centered, evidence-based, equity-focused, diverse and collaborative.
The Health Promotion concentration prepares students for implementing effective interventions directly with clients, determining a community's health needs, promoting healthy lifestyles and carrying out health surveys.
The online Health Promotion concentration focuses on four main areas:
- Program and Intervention Planning. Students develop skills to conduct health-related needs assessments in a variety of communities, apply community health and organizational theories, models, principles and best practices in planning programs and intervention and identify, incorporate and analyze contexts and key factors relevant to the implementation of programs or interventions.
- Evaluation of Programs and Interventions. Students learn to identify and evaluate health-related data and instruments, utilize appropriate qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods and apply evaluation findings to programs and policies.
- Community Engagement. Students develop skills needed to coordinate and facilitate community groups, coalitions and partnerships.
- Management and Leadership. Students are able to demonstrate abilities in the administration and management of community health programs and demonstrate the skills to advance a systems approach to community health through professional leadership and practice.
Career Outlook: Public health practice is increasingly regarded as important to citizen well-being as a means to better health and potential reduction in costs for critical care. Careers in Health Promotion, Social and Behavioral Health can focus on any aspect of health promotion and disease prevention, from behavioral research to program planning and implementation. Some jobs may focus on health education with individuals while others focus on community and population-level changes, which involve activities such as social marketing and developing healthier policies. Whatever the topic or level of focus, professionals in this part of public health strive to understand the things which impact health and behavior, and then design and implement effective interventions. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted a 16% job growth for health educators and community health workers from 2016 to 2026.
Potential career paths for graduates of this online program include:
- Community health educator
- Disease intervention specialist
- Health and wellness coordinator
- Maternal and child health specialist
- Health promotion program planner
- Program evaluator
- Project coordinator
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.