Public Health, MPH (Epidemiology)
Master of Public Health Degree with a Concentration in Epidemiology
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Epidemiology degree program is designed for students and working professionals looking to broaden their training in epidemiology and related fields.
The MPH in Epidemiology provides basic epidemiological skills and knowledge to prepare students for careers in public health. This area of study provides the tools needed to conceptualize a public health problem, design an epidemiological study, collect and analyze data and interpret and report the results of a study. The course work and applications focus on the determinants, distribution, dynamics and etiology of disease in populations and include proposal and report writing, the promotion of good health practices, the prevention of disease and the evaluation of public health policy and programs.
The online Epidemiology concentration focuses on five main areas:
- Problem Conceptualization. Students conceptualize epidemiologic research questions and hypotheses, apply principles of causal inference to epidemiologic data and review and critique published epidemiologic studies.
- Surveillance. Students develop skills to identify key sources of surveillance data, compute epidemiologic measures using surveillance data and use surveillance data to answer epidemiologic questions
- Study Design. Students learn how to choose a study design appropriate for particular epidemiologic questions and design an appropriate, scientifically sound study.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation. Students develop skills to identify and interpret key study results, select appropriate statistical methods for analysis of epidemiologic data, identify potential sources and effects of bias and apply methods to minimize sources of bias in study results.
- Dissemination of Study Findings. Students learn to communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
The Master in Public Health cultivates leaders who are creative, critical thinkers, with the knowledge and skills to address evolving public health challenges. This online master's degree program focuses on being practice-centered, evidence-based, equity-focused, diverse and collaborative.
Career Outlook: Epidemiologists are employed in federal, state and local governmental agencies, such as health departments and the Centers for Disease Prevention Control. They also find employment at colleges and universities, hospitals and pharmaceutical and medical research. Epidemiologists can focus on a specific field, such as Infectious Disease, Chronic Diseases (e.g., cancer, cardiovascular diseases) and Maternal and Child Health. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted a 9% job growth for epidemiologists from 2016 to 2026.
Potential career paths for graduates of this online program include:
- WHO, CDC; state, county and territorial health departments: Conduct applied/field epidemiological activities such as disease surveillance and outbreak investigations
- Health care systems: Conduct disease surveillance, infection control and quality assurance activities
- Academic institutions: Conduct education and research activities in a variety of epidemiology topics
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.