Public Health, MPH (Biostatistics)
Master of Public Health Degree with a Concentration in Biostatistics
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Biostatistics degree program is designed to meet the needs of those individuals who work in public health and desire to broaden their training by learning the statistical and quantitative evaluation of public health research and programs.
Through the Public Health, MPH (Biostatistics) program, students:
- Conceptualize and define a public health problem in multidimensional terms
- Develop an appropriate study design, to plan and implement proper statistical analyses
- Interpret and report the results of the study
- Gain basic biostatistical and quantitative skills and knowledge
- Apply biostatistical sciences while working with investigators in the process of research studies
- Learn innovative advances made in biostatistical methods while also learning the theory and application of biostatistics
Students who pursue this degree have a strong interest in analyzing and processing information, forecasting scenarios and drawing conclusions using analytic software and methods.
Career Outlook: Biostaticians study a blend of applied statistics and biology in order to forecast and analyze clinical trains and research health-related data. In any of these career fields, a professional's research may focus on analyzing the effectiveness of a new drug, risk factors for different illnesses, planning healthcare interventions, explaining biological phenomena and much more. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the need for statisticians to grow 34% between 2014-2024, faster than other occupations.
Career paths may include academia, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies and anywhere experts are needed for data management and statistical analysis.
Potential career paths for graduates of this online program include:
- Pharmaceutical and clinical trials
- Engineering and computer science
- Data management
- Government agencies such as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, state health departments, etc.
- Anywhere experts on data management and statistical analysis are needed
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.