Public Administration, MPA (Local Government)
Master of Public Administration Degree with a Concentration in Local Government
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Administration (MPA) program offers a concentration in Local Government which prepares graduates for a career in public service.
Local governments provide the most essential of public services, such as health and safety, transportation, sanitation, environment and utilities. Public administrators play a critical role in the delivery of these services and the management of local government organizations.
Students of the online Public Administration, MPA (Local Government) program gain skills to:
- Develop competencies to work in public service and succeed in this level of government.
- Plan and implement innovative, efficient and effective strategies affecting constituencies ranging from the most vulnerable to the most affluent populations.
- Make tough decisions regarding the allocation of resources while ensuring social equity.
- Protect natural resources, build cities and lead communities. Become a steward of the democratic way of life.
Students choose the online Master of Public Administration program because of the:
- High-quality curriculum from a distinguished, accredited university.
- Faculty members regarded as national and international scholars and leaders in the field of public administration who share a deep commitment to effective teaching and rigorous research.
- Opportunities for internships and networking with city administrators.
- Coursework offered through the UNO Urban Studies program.
- Low tuition from a convenient, accessible location.
- Flexible coursework offered 100% online, allowing for personal and skill development on a schedule that is conducive to busy professionals.
Career Outlook: In today's working world, an advanced degree is essential. A degree in public administration prepares graduates for leadership positions in state and local government, health care administration, nonprofit management and human resources management. According to the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration, graduate education is expected to continue giving persons working or seeking careers in the public and nonprofit sectors a competitive edge.
This program is ideal for professionals looking to work in areas such as:
- Public service
- Health care management
- Federal, state and local government
- Nonprofit management
- Human resource management
Career paths may include:
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Local Government Manager
- City Management
- Staff Assistant
- City Council Officer
- City Manager
- Staff Assistant
- Program Specialist
- Policy Analyst
More about the Public Administration, MPA:
The mission of the School of Public Administration at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is to strengthen the public service in a democratic and diverse society by educating students to manage and lead public and nonprofit institutions effectively, ethically and democratically. The MPA degree is the recognized graduate degree for professionals in public service.
A master's degree in Public Administration is more than a professional degree. It's a gateway to transforming society through a career in public service. The mission of the program is to strengthen public service in a democratic, yet diverse society by educating students who manage and lead public and nonprofit institutions effectively, ethically and democratically.
The online MPA offers several concentrations, including:
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Local Government
- Nonprofit Management
- Public Management
- Public Policy
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.