Public Administration, MPA (Criminology & Criminal Justice)
Master of Public Administration Degree with a Concentration in Criminology and Criminal Justice
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Public Administration (MPA) offers a specialization in Criminology & Criminal Justice program which prepares graduates for a career in public service.
Students of this program build a strong foundation in public administration through coursework covering academic theory, applied research, experiential learning and internships.
Students of the online Public Administration, MPA (Criminology & Criminal Justice) degree program gain the skills to:
- Make tough decisions regarding the allocation of resources while ensuring social equality.
- Generate solutions to crime in communities and enhance criminal justice policies and practices.
- Plan and implement innovative, effective and efficient strategies affecting constituencies ranging from the most vulnerable to the most affluent populations.
Students choose the online Master of Public Administration program because of the:
- High-quality curriculum from a distinguished, accredited university.
- Low tuition from a convenient, accessible location.
- Faculty members regarded as national and international scholars and leaders in the field of public administration.
- Flexible coursework offered 100% online, allowing for personal and skill development on a schedule that is conducive to busy professionals.
- A community of scholars and practitioners who share a deep commitment to effective teaching and rigorous research on public administration.
Career Outlook: The continued need for public safety is expected to lead to new openings in the field of criminal justice. The employment of police and detectives is projected to grow 5 percent from 2018 to 2028, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Career paths may include:
- Criminal Profiler
- Police and Detective Supervisor
- Correctional Officer Supervisor
- Emergency Management Director
- Security Management
- Cybersecurity Investigator
- Policy Analyst
- Special agent at a federal agency
More about the Public Administration, MPA:
The mission of the School of Public Administration at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is to strengthen public service in a democratic and diverse society by educating students to manage and lead public and nonprofit institutions effectively, ethically and democratically. The MPA degree is the recognized graduate degree for professionals in public service.
A master's degree in Public Administration is more than a professional degree. It's a gateway to transforming society through a career in public service. The mission of the program is to strengthen public service in a democratic, yet diverse society by educating students who manage and lead public and nonprofit institutions.
The online MPA offers several concentrations, including:
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Local Government
- Nonprofit Management
- Public Management
- Public Policy
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.