Professional Studies, BGS
Bachelor of General Studies Degree with a Concentration in Professional Studies
Why Pursue This Program
The online Bachelor of General Studies degree (BGS) with an area of concentration in Professional Studies allows you to customize your own bachelor's degree with guidance from an academic adviser.
Why you should choose this program:
- You gain the skills that employers need, including knowledge in the area of business with a concentration on management, marketing, accounting, family studies, interior design, physical education or social work.
- The program is structured to accept nontraditional credit, making use of your time and money.
- It is designed to be flexible to fit your career goals.
- There are many opportunities for networking.
Career Outlook: According to the U.S. Census Bureau, workers who have a bachelor's degree earn about $24,000 more per year than high school graduates. Earning a bachelor's degree can help you earn more money and prepare for a better future.
Earning a bachelor's degree goes beyond increased earning potential:
- Set yourself up for career advancement
- Expand your career opportunities
- Lessen the chance of facing unemployment
- Renew your focus on self-enhancement
More about the Bachelor of General Studies offered by the University of Nebraska at Kearney:
The Bachelor of General Studies opens doors to diverse career paths depending on the area of study you select. This unique program offers flexible options for students wishing to complete a bachelor's degree online.
Option 1: Students choose three out of the following four concentration areas (completing 15 credit hours in each area)
- Fine Arts: Art History, Music
- Humanities: English, Journalism, Speech
- Social Sciences: Psychology, History, Sociology
- Professional Studies: Management, Marketing, Accounting, Family Studies, Interior Design, Physical Education, Social Work
Option 2: Students choose to specialize in one concentration area above (30 credit hours) and a complementary concentration area (15 credit hours) as listed above.
Request to speak with an adviser to determine the best fit for your educational goals.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.