Literacy, MS (School Library)
Master of Science Degree in Literacy with an Endorsement in School Library
Why Pursue This Program
The blended Master of Science in Literacy with a School Library endorsement program prepares educational professionals with the knowledge, skills and dispositions to effectively integrate contemporary theories of literacy and library science with current pedagogical practice.
Students gain the:
- Ability to apply research in reading and writing to teaching and learning.
- Skills for working with struggling readers and writers in PK-12 settings.
- Leadership skills to work with students and their teachers in literacy environments.
- Understanding of students' diversity as readers and writers.
- Use of various types of literature to enhance students' skills as readers and writers.
Coursework for this nationally-recognized program builds competencies in:
- Library Science
- Technology/Digital Resources
- Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
Today's school librarian works with many different groups within a school community by:
- Facilitating access to information in a wide variety of formats.
- Instructing students and teachers on how to acquire, evaluate and use a diverse array of technologies to facilitate inquiry processes.
- Introducing children and young adults to literature and other resources in support of their personal and academic journeys.
As a collaborator, change agent and leader, the school librarian develops, promotes and implements a program that will help prepare students to be effective users of ideas and information.
Upon completion of the courses for this literacy degree, students will also have earned the credits necessary for both an endorsement in reading and an endorsement in school library.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.