Human & Family Services Administration, MS
Master of Science Degree in Human and Family Services Administration
Why Pursue This Program
The online Human and Family Services Administration, MS program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding and the broad-based skills necessary for the development, administration and management of human services organizations.
Students gain knowledge in the following areas:
- Family Functioning including principles of family theory, contemporary research and working with diverse populations.
- Program design and evaluation including fundraising, grant writing, data collection, measuring outcomes and cost-effectiveness of interventions.
- Professional issues including ethical and legal issues and a professional internship.
- Administration and management skills and knowledge in the areas of human resources, program management and public policy.
As a graduate of this program, students will be prepared, through practical knowledge and skill-building to design, administer and manage programs, agencies and organizations that shape community impact.
Career Outlook: This unique program is appropriate for anyone interested in advancing their career within the human services industry, such as:
- Full-time professionals who want to advance their careers by moving from positions such as direct care staff, caseworkers, program managers and care providers to program directors, agency directors, executive directors, etc.
- Field professionals seeking an increased understanding of the most effective methods of agency administration.
- Individuals who are interested in blending family-related expertise with the administrative expertise needed to manage human service organizations
- Individuals who hold Bachelor's Degrees in family sciences, business, psychology, sociology or related fields.
- Professionals who have new ideas but need the skills necessary to manage agencies such as nonprofit organizations, foster care agencies, early childhood intervention agencies, after school programs, and adolescent intervention programs.
- Military personnel who are seeking a post-military career in Human and Family Services Administration.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.