Master of Arts Degree in History
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Arts in History is designed for everyone - from those just beginning a graduate career, teachers and others desiring further professional development and those seeking greater personal fulfillment.
The program seeks to serve those in active military duty and their families, those interested in becoming community college educators and students wishing to pursue a Ph.D. in history. A focused, yet eclectic, professional online program, the Master of Arts in History program can launch a potential career in a number of promising directions.
Online History, MA students enjoy:
- A fully online program with no residency requirement
- Thesis and non-thesis options
- Low teacher/student ratios fostering student/professor relationships
- Extensive online course offerings each semester with emphasis on areas such as Military History, the American West and Modern Europe
- Public/digital history specializations available
- A respected, affordable University of Nebraska degree
- Flexibility in degree completion to accommodate busy schedules
The faculty teaching and research experiences contribute to overall knowledge about people and places around the globe as well as throughout time and space. Students study the many ways people interact politically, economically, militarily and culturally in both the U.S. and international history.
As a program that pinpoints specific students' interests yet provides extensive knowledge in the field, this program can provide graduates with many promising career opportunities. This is proven in the achievements of our students, which include:
- The 2013 Texas History Teacher of the Year
- Several James Madison Fellows
- Students pursuing doctoral programs
- Lecturers at universities and community colleges
- Public history positions in museums and archives
- Student presentations at professional conferences
- Student and alumni research leading to publications
- Several students with campus-level thesis awards
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.