Emergency Preparedness, MS
Master of Science Degree in Emergency Preparedness
Why Pursue This Program
The online Master of Science in Emergency Preparedness is designed to prepare professionals in a world where emergency preparedness and response skills are essential to the public health infrastructure.
The University of Nebraska Medical Centers College of Public Health, already renowned for its expertise in Biopreparedness and Biosecurity, is emerging as a leading researcher to establish evidence-based knowledge in the field.
Through coursework, students will:
- Explore events including natural disasters, intentional acts of terrorism and newly emerging infectious disease threats
- Gain current and nationally endorsed competencies in emergency preparedness leadership, communication, information management, practice improvement and worker health and safety through the course curriculum
- Benefit from a flexible online format with key emergency preparedness content structured and delivered through four core courses based on the focus areas established by the Federal Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Career Outlook: The importance of preparing for and minimizing the risks from emergencies will help sustain the demand and employment of individuals in the emergency management field.
Potential career options*:
- Emergency operations center director
- Emergency response Coordinator
- Disaster reduction
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Law enforcement
- First response teams
- Crime scene investigator
- Red Cross Disaster Relief
*Career options outlined may require previous experience, licensure, certification or other designations.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.