Emergency Management, BS
Bachelor of Science Degree in Emergency Management
Why Pursue This Program
The online Emergency Management, BS program is interdisciplinary with coursework focusing on emergency services and management.
Students of the online Emergency Management, BS program gain:
- A thorough understanding of inter-agency cooperation, coordination, communication, policies and procedures, labor relations and fiscal matters
- Preparation for employment in the areas of public, nonprofit and private sectors
- A customized professional education that encompasses the broad array of knowledge necessary to conduct emergency services and administration
The program was developed by an interdisciplinary group of faculty from a variety of departments at programs from the University of Nebraska at Omaha, as well as community and public safety leaders.
Students are able to customize their degree by choosing two specialized concentrations based on their area of interest. Options include:
- Aviation Administration (on-campus only)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Fire Service Management
- Geospatial Science (on-campus only)
- Information Technology and Communication
- Intelligence and Security
- Logistics Management (on-campus only)
- Natural Disasters (on-campus only)
- Nonprofit Management
- Planning and Preparing for Urban Hazards (on-campus only)
- Private Sector Management (on-campus only)
- Public Administration and Management
- Public Health (on-campus only)
- Tribal Management and Emergency Services
Career Outlook: Emergency management is the profession of individuals who focus on helping communities prior to, during and following natural and man-made disasters to minimize risk and vulnerability. Emergency Managers focus on preparedness, planning and mitigation efforts along with response and recovery to save lives.
Industries may include:
- Federal government
- Private Sector
- State government
- U.S. Military
Career paths may include:
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Homeland Security Officer
- Hospital Emergency Preparedness Specialist
- Emergency Dispatcher
- Emergency Transfer Coordinator or Specialist
- Program Coordinator
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.