Criminology & Criminal Justice, MS
Master of Science Degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice
Why Pursue This Program
The online Criminology and Criminal Justice, Master of Science (MS) degree program is designed for professional practitioners in the field of criminal justice. The program emphasizes crime and criminal justice research, theory, planning and administration.
Students choose the online Criminology and Criminal Justice, MS because:
- The School of Criminology and Criminal Justice is a nationally recognized leader in the scientific study of the causes of crime and criminal justice system responses.
- Faculty are subject matter experts in youth and adult victimization, correctional excellence, policing and global terrorism among other critical areas of criminal justice.
- A professionally oriented master's degree can help students advance their careers, improve their professional skills and develop new competencies.
- Students gain knowledge in areas such as law, political science and sociology leading to a well-rounded education.
- Online courses provide students with more flexibility and control over their schedule and students can complete the degree as quickly as 18 months.
Faculty experts partner with criminal justice agencies and community organizations to generate solutions to crime in communities and enhance criminal justice policies and practices. Faculty research projects are supported through federal funding agencies such as the National Institute of Justice, as well as state and local partners.
At UNO, students actively collaborate to enhance their understanding of the causes and correlates of crime, the criminal justice response to crime, and contribute to the developing scientific knowledge by creating more effective solutions to enhance community safety.
Career Outlook: The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts sustained growth in the field of criminal justice, a field that is extremely diverse. The annual median salary for Police and Detectives was $61,600 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics for 2016. On the other hand, the job outlook for Forensic Science Technicians was growing at 17% which is much faster than average. The continual demand for professionals in this field will guarantee graduates a job post-graduation.
This program is ideal for professionals working in professions such as:
- Probation Officer
- Parole Officer
- Forensic Science Technician
- Police Officer
- Correctional Officer
- Private Detective
- Computer Forensics Investigator
- Governmental Agent
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.