Community College Leadership, Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate in Community College Leadership
Why Pursue This Program
The online Graduate Certificate in Community College Leadership is designed to develop professional leadership capabilities to meet the needs of potential and current community college leadership personnel.
- Students of the program will gain:
- Skills to support college communities
- An in-depth understanding of the issues facing community colleges
- Leadership expertise that can be applied to grow community colleges
Who should consider this program?
- Individuals already employed at a community college.
- Individuals who are or aspire to be in an instructional leadership appointment or a senior administrative position.
The Community College Leadership Certificate (CCLC) is comprised of three components.
- Component 1: The university component includes a set of five courses that develop the knowledge and capabilities for effective leadership of the community college. The five courses are designed individually and collectively to cover the key areas of knowledge and skills needed to lead community colleges in a rapidly changing environment. While addressing a broad range of capabilities, we believe that leadership cannot be developed based on what can be learned in college courses alone.
- Component 2: The second component includes involvement in professional associations related to the community college. As part of the certificate experience, we encourage and expect CCLC participants to continue their learning through opportunities for further development afforded by membership in professional networks and associations or by participation in institutional or community-based leadership initiatives.
- Component 3: The final component involves institutional support to develop leaders. CCLC participants must be currently employed at a community college, and have an institutional sponsor or mentor with whom they can discuss aspects from both the UNL coursework and the professional development activity as they pertain to the employing institution.
The Certificate will be awarded only to those individuals who successfully complete each of the three components as agreed upon with their advisor and reflected in the culminating university course.
Note: Students who complete the certificate as a stand-alone credential and subsequently apply for and are admitted to an Ed.D. degree program may request that the credit hours completed in the Certificate program be accepted in a graduate program of study. Acceptance of the credits earned in the certificate program requires Office of Graduate Studies and supervisory committee approval and is not guaranteed.
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.