Master of Science Degree in Biology
Why Pursue This Program
The online Biology, MS program is designed for high school and middle school teachers, scientists, researchers and anyone who could benefit from advanced study in biology.
The Biology, MS program offers:
- The ability for professionals to advance in their career field
- Flexibility in coursework and timing
- Support in the online environment via fellow students and professors
- The opportunity for students to conduct their own hands-on research with faculty guidance
- Over 40 elective offerings making students able to specialize in one area of study or diversify their degree program
Why choose this UNK program:
- The Department of Biology at the University of Nebraska at Kearney has established itself as a nationwide leader in the successful delivery of its online biology graduate degree program.
- Faculty members are energetic and willing to explore a wide variety of research interests.
- An interdisciplinary study emphasizes collaborations aimed at solving modern biological problems.
- A low student-to-faculty ratio assures the individual guidance necessary for positive individual experiences and successful completion of the program.
This program is typically structured as a non-thesis program, which is generally considered a terminal degree. For students considering continuing their education into a doctoral program, the Biology adviser will work with you to develop a program of study to suit this goal. Graduates of this online Biology, MS program have successfully gone on to Ph.D. programs at other institutions.
The field of biology is varied, and so are the career opportunities.
The Biology, MS program prepares students for many different career fields including:
- Science outreach and education
- Environmental science
- Health-related fields
- Wildlife biology
- Genetic research
- Pharmaceutical research
- Conservation biology
- Food science research
- And more
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.