Applied Science, BS
Bachelor of Science Degree in Applied Science
Why Pursue This Program
Students in the online Applied Science, BS program are able to select from a broad range of courses from agricultural to environmental science in order to best suit their career goals. The flexibility of the program allows students the power to choose almost half of the courses they enroll in. Students can use course choices to expand their studies, enrich individual interests or they can choose to combine them with electives to add a minor in agricultural or environmental areas.
Why choose this program?
- Fully online courses allow for convenience in earning your degree, which is perfect for students who are working while in school
- One of the most flexible majors with the ability to choose courses that apply to your interests and skills
- An ideal program for those who are looking to gain skills that will help with your success back home in a family farm, ranch, or other similar business
- Students gain a well-rounded education that broadens workforce choices and opportunities
This degree program requires a total of 120 credit hours for coursework. Students are able to transfer credit from other qualifying institutions. Thirty credit hours must be completed in 200-level courses or higher and 15 hours must be completed in 300-level courses or higher. Upon completing core and required courses, students select courses in four concentration areas:
- Food, Animal, and Plant Science Electives (3 courses)
- Genetics, Biotechnology, and Processing Electives (2 courses)
- Ecology Electives (3 courses)
- Entrepreneurship, Economics, and Policy Electives (2 courses)
After graduation, students are well-equipped to continue on to a master's program or seek a career. Career paths may include:
- Crop consultant
- Director of product management
- Farm/ranch operator
- Farm loan officer
- Field loan officer
- Field sales representative
- Grain merchandiser
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.