Criminology and Criminal Justice, BS
Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice
Why Pursue This Program
The online Criminology and Criminal Justice, BS is designed to meet the needs of individuals who are interested in learning about criminal behavior and sociological study.
Students of this program:
- Demonstrate mastery of core areas of criminology and criminal justice.
- Gain knowledge from faculty who are subject matter experts in the areas of youth and adult victimization, correctional excellence, policing, global terrorism among other critical areas of criminal justice.
- Apply specialized knowledge through field-based learning experiences, civic and/or community engagement activities and/or policy analysis.
- Explore diverse positions, including those representing different cultural, economic and geographic interests in the context of criminology and criminal justice.
- Learn to locate, integrate and use information from varied sources to effectively communicate in writing and other mediums.
The UNO School of Criminology and Criminal Justice is a nationally recognized leader in the scientific study of the causes of crime and criminal justice responses.
Undergraduate students are taught by faculty who have unsurpassed research and field experience and credentials. The faculty lead the scientific advancement of knowledge through research on the etiology of criminal behavior and the development of policies and practices in the criminal justice system.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of police and detectives is projected to grow 5 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. The continued need for public safety is expected to lead to new openings for officers, although demand may vary by location.
Potential careers include:
- Police and Sheriff
- Detective or Criminal Investigator
- Fish and Game Warden
- Transit and Railroad Police
- DEA Agent
- Probation Officer
- Correctional Officers and Bailiffs
- Emergency Management Directors
- Probation Officer and Correction Treatment Specialists
What's it like to take a program online?
Quality learning experience
The University of Nebraska has offered distance education courses for more than 100 years so you can expect a quality, rigorous experience. Online courses are often highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums and chat groups. You’ll have direct access to world-class faculty – researchers who are experts in their fields or practitioners with real-world experience. Also, you’ll be part of a community of learners and can benefit from the perspectives of students from across the globe.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes wherever is convenient to you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. You aren’t tied to a specific class time.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at the University of Nebraska have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. An academic adviser will guide you along your journey, library services are available to help you excel in your program and career services are available when you are ready to take your next step. These are just a few of the services in place to help you succeed.